March 11, 2010

biscornu


The pin cushion is finished!


Started at an LAX, and the button in the center was sewn last night at the airport before leaving New York. Yea. 

Once I saw a little pin cushion that was the nicest shape, two squares that made a sort of circle. Research revealed that there is name for this type of cushion, a biscornu. They are very easy to make, and I found all the instructions needed here at Own Two Hands. This biscornu is made from a scrap of fabric and a swatch of leather a friend gave me. When she handed me the four leather swatches two years ago she said, "I don't know what you can do with them, but I figured you'd be able to think of something." I did.

So, the stuffing. I did use hair. I'd heard about it and had to see how it works. I've had some questions about it so here are answers. The hair was not gathered from a hair brush. I am sure that would work, but I saved the clippings when I trimmed my hair. I lined the sink with paper towels and I cut my hair dry, so I just took what fell on the the towels and put it in a Ziplock bag. It took forever to save enough. I'm sure if I was willing to save what I swept from the floor I would have had a pin cushion much sooner. My hair is straight, but it turns out short pieces of clean, straight, hair will grip enough to make a tight ball. I lined the top of the cushion with a layer of old, ratty, blanket (Thanks Dave for contributing a bit of Old Brownie!) so no hair could slip through. When I put the pins in for the picture it felt just like a regular pin cushion. You'd never know that there is human hair inside unless you were told. 

If anyone else makes a pin cushion stuffed with hair I'd love to hear how yours turns out. I feel I need to elevate the level of my work to be worthy of such a cute pin cushion.

7 comments:

  1. Glad you shared the source! Your Biscornu turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the shape of the pin cushion. I used hair combings about 20 years to stuff a pincushion. I had waist length hair then, so it didn't take me too long to save enough. I've no idea what happened to it either - moved countries 3 times since then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! A rogue pin cushion!

    I too find that shape so pleasing to the eye. It's like a little pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cut my hair not 3 hours before I read this. Went straight in the toilet! Oh well, next time.

    ReplyDelete